Thursday, May 8, 2008

I still have both testicles: A tale of modern medicine

Welcome to my blog. Thought it would be appropriate to begin posting with a very personal medical anecdote.

Woke up some weeks ago with a what felt like a refugee family roasting a goat in my right testicle. The HMO mill doc diagnosed a form of very typical inflammation but referred me to a urologist. Within a day of viewing a sonogram of said teste, he informed my that I had cancer and must have the bad boy removed immediately.

That's not fun.

Went for a second opinion - this doc described doug's suspicious mass (the name of my new punk/alternative band) as a "speck" and advised doing nothing and looking again in 6 weeks. Todays sonogram showed nothing (except a testicle).

No cancer.

No suspicious mass.

Did the first Dr. want my testicle for personal reasons?

Did he have a recipe requiring my testicle ?

Did he have an overwhelming need for $ and was thus willing to perform unnecessary surgery?

Was he just overly cautious?

I have tried incorporating this into my stand up.

I'm not so good with the dark stuff.

Jewish mother-in- law stuff to follow.

Doug


2 comments:

Harris said...

hey doug adler,

you've inspired me. my doc wants to remove a suspicious mole on my back, but now, thanks to you, I'm gonna leave it there.

He can't have it!

rock on,

aitch

Anonymous said...

Doug, I had a testicle removed once. I still have the scar on my forehead. - TMC